Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Venomous snakes out to get me.


The picture you see above is the first thing we saw when we stepped into the Aztec ruins in Northern New Mexico.  Only it wasn't a picture.  It was a snake.  It was a snake on our path, the path between us and the ruins.  As we approached the path a park ranger said, "Careful there is a bull snake on the path".  Only, that's not what I heard.  I heard, "Turn around, drive fast.  A snake is after you."  I calmed quickly and inquired about the type of snake.  Ranger replies, "bull snake".  He walks a few more feet away from me (and in the opposite direction of the menacing beast) and I say (loudly), "Is it poisonous?".  He laughs his "where did these folks come from" laugh and says, "No.  It's dead," to which I reply, "Well if it wasn't dead would it be poisonous?".  Again, he laughs and says, "No."  I'm not completely convinced that proceeding is a good idea as it is a snake and the only reason they exist are to poison me but I proceed against my best judgement.  Both kids and Mark are already deep in inspection of the deceased Bull snake.  I'm sort of done.  I don't care how splendid the Aztecs are at erecting timeless structures, a bull snake (dead as it may have been) was  in my path which screams "abort mission" in my brain.  Everyone else was able to disconnect from what I am now calling, "The super scary time when the bull snake almost killed us" and enjoy the ruins.  I, however, could not gain my equilibrium.  Sorry, Atzecs.  Just a suggestion, maybe next time you decide to build you could choose a place where snakes don't go to die.  On another note, I'm afraid that a dead snake in your path at ancient ruins might have some deep meaning.   Doesn't it sound like a good introduction to a Tony Hillerman novel?
After our run in with the snake we headed to Durango, Colorado.  We stopped at Haviland Lake outside of Durango for some serious rock throwing.  It was our first meeting with perfect mountain lake this trip and both kids took to it like, well, fish to water.  Mountain lakes center us.  We know exactly what to do and we all assume our roles.  I lounge in the sun.  The kids throw rocks and crawl all over me and Mark spends his time dedicating skipping rocks to everyone in the family ("This one is for Odelia...").  Once the rock leaves his hand someone (usually Mark, himself) counts all the skips and holds his rock-skipping prowess up as a sign of his love for whomever that particular throw was dedicated.  It's really the Holdhusens at their best.  If they had a "sitting by a rocky mountain lake and lounging" contest we would kill it.  After rock throwing we headed to Steamworks Brewery in Durango for some hoppy beverages and dinner.  Both kids were famished and delightfully well-behaved which made for a super fun dinner.
Today we spent the day at Mesa Verde.  I had no idea how much my husband loved ruins until we woke this morning and I asked what we were doing and he said, "We're going to look at more ruins."  Ummm, really?  More?  I  quickly halted my ancient ruins inquisition when he said that this was his "thing" that he wanted to do on this trip.  We all saddled up and headed to Mesa Verde for some cliff-dwelling fun.  I didn't spot a snake upon entering the ruins, but believe me when I tell you I was absolutely looking for the dead bull snake on my path today.  It was quite a hike to the cliff dwellings and both kids did great.  Mark, my sweet, sweet engineer, was enthralled with the structures.  It was neat to see him enjoying it so much.  Of course, the kids and I faded long before he did but hopefully he got his fill of ancient structures until next time.  Mesa Verde was followed by naps, swimming, pizza and more swimming.  Tomorrow we head to Sedona, AZ.
Aztec Ruins National Monument, NM

These guys could have explored all day.  Milo LOVED all the little rooms.

Just after the snake.
Aztec Ruins National Park, NM

Exploring the ruins.

Teeny tiny little doors.  Were they teeny tiny little people?

Another little door

Seriously, give this girl a pile of dirt or sand and you're good for a few hours.

At this point I've recovered my equilibrium.  Still not thrilled that we almost got attacked by a snake but doing ok.

Mini doors in the ruins.
Aztec Ruins National Park, NM

Kiva:  A ceremonial building.

Exploring the Kiva.

I wasn't joking.  Shoes off.

"Milo, it's time to go."

Happy Home Yoga:  The Tree at Haviland Lake, Colorado

Rock Throwing!  (Finally)

Blue flying bug at the lake. 

This is not his skipping stance.

Lecturing to the good people of Haviland Lake, Co.

"Odelia, don't sit in the water."
"Mom, I just sat in the water."
"That's ok, Odelia"

Feet in lake. 

Examining Milo's treasures.

His treasures up close.  Ask him about them.  He'll tell you.

My job. 

Classic wearing Mom's sunglasses photo opp.

We saw this store front and immediately envisioned a store filled with beer, music, t-shirts, scientific equations and maps.  It was filled with pottery.  Hmmph.  Not the world according to my Mark apparently.

Same store, different sign.

Now this is the world according to Mark. 

This is really my beer but he said, "Take a picture of me so it looks like I'm  getting wasted".

The third beer in the flight was a chile beer.  Mmmmmm. 

I can't say for sure, but it looks like he's drinking from two hands.

Jeesh, her too.

Mesa Verde, Colorado

A poor, poor lizard that we harassed until it would hold still for a picture.  Reptile paparazzi.

Those two sticks sticking up from the ground are the ladder to the underground rooms in the cave dwellings.  We all were able to make it down the ladders.  Those with claustrophobic tendencies need not apply.

The ladder beckoning us.

Down Milo goes.  He LOVED it!

Beaming after his descent.

Here's me dropping Odelia down to Mark as he was snapping a picture to photo document her descent down the ladder. A lady from Fergus Falls, MN was very concerned about this exchange.  She didn't see that Mark was already down the ladder and she thought I was just dropping my child down a black hole.

Odelia scraped her arm on this rock but that didn't stop her from climbing it  over and over again for 15 minutes.

Us at Mesa Verde

Two hummingbirds fighting.  The man from Fergus Falls who was married to the overly concerned woman from Fergus Falls pointed these out to Milo.  Thank you to the overly friendly midwestern duo!

He won.

Milo's best pouty face after being told he wasn't going to buy anything at the gift shop.

Lunch by the bathroom reconstruction project.

Cliff dwellings. Mesa Verde, CO

Loving her daddy.

Mesa Verde, CO

Mark making sure Odelia doesn't plummet to her death.
Mesa Verde, CO

No comments:

Post a Comment